yes, finally I admit it, I am a fabricaholic. Especially since I have done my taxes for last year and noticed I actually spent more on fabric than I made with selling quilts, plushies, etc., well I finally I realised
I have a problem.
I can't help it. I am constantly drooling over the latest new fabric collections and I am every marketer's dream customer. Show me a pretty quilt using some gorgeous modern new fabrics and I am hooked, I go and buy it, come what may. And this means I can spend hundreds of pounds in a year on fabric even though I honestly have enough fabric to last a lifetime. I have fabric collections I bought 5 yars ago and haven't touched since. As we have recently bought a house and we are well and truly broke, I have to curb my addiction or else we will have no money in the bank when the roof comes down or the boiler breaks. So please support me in this challenge as this addiction is starting to become a problem when we have to hold on to every pound.
Here are a few images showing my stash in the new craft room. Yes, all those drawers are full of fabric, and pretty much every other box you see there, plus there are both Kona darks and lights on top of the bookshelf and lots more boxes under the table.
So for that reason I have decided to join the Fabricaholics Anonymous group and make a pledge to go on a Fabric Fast for (at least) 6 months.
I hereby pledge to follow the following rules of the Fabric Fast for one exception, I will need to buy sashing fabric when I run out (normally Kona Snow, white or grey), otherwise I will do my very best to follow the rules. The other half and I are even thinking of coming up with a bet. He thinks I can't possibly do it and I will proove him wrong. :)
I will keep you all posted how this is going. At the moment I have about 10 smaller quilts to quilt and bind and I have loads of ideas for more new projects, so watch this space. I will post about my WIPs very soon.
Lots of love and please wish me luck for this challenge, it will be hard,
FABRICAHOLICS ANONYMOUS - FABRIC FAST
- To use the Stash I already have!
- Finish UFOs without distraction by shifting to other new beautiful fabric.
- Stop the insanity of constantly buying the latest and greatest fabric.
- Save the $$ I spend on stashing. For me, this is going to mean I start saving for a long arm. That dream simply isn't going to happen while I spend every little bit of my quilty earnings on fabric. And it's a dream I desperately want to happen.
- Destash the fabrics that I realize I am never going to use.
FABRIC FAST RULES:
1) No fabric purchases for 6 months beginning .
2) At 6 months reevaluate status and decide whether to keep going for full year. Evaluation .
3) Create a UFO list and complete them!
- Backing: purchasing a backing to finish a quilt top is permissible. However, attempting to use fabric in your possession for a backing is preferable.
- Books and Magazine purchases are allowed as they are not fabric. Notions acceptable too.
- Swap Mama Fabric: if hosting a swap you are permitted to by fabric to execute swap duties, but you may not join a swap simply for the sake of being able to buy fabric!
- Quilts for Publication: if you are making a quilt for a publication and need certain fabric to execute it correctly then that is a major exception - who can blame you?